Avanti Frozen Foods Recalls Several Shrimp Products Linked to Salmonella Outbreak
If you've purchased frozen shrimp from your local grocery store in the last few months, you may need to return the item for a refund or toss it completely.
Salmonella was recently found in a sample of frozen cooked shrimp from Avanti Frozen Foods, which was collected as part of the FDA's Imported Seafood Compliance Program, the CDC said. At that time, were six illnesses, two of which resulted in hospitalizations.
The FDA has now expanded this recall since nine people across four states have been hospitalized with salmonella.
Avanti Frozen Foods shrimp was distributed nationwide between November 2020 and May 2021 at major retailers such as Meijer, Food Lion, Hannaford, Whole Foods and more.
The investigation is still active, however in a statement on the FDA website, Avanti said that out of "an abundance of caution" it recalled some of its frozen cooked shrimp products sold under the brand names 365, Censea, Chicken of the Sea, CWNO, Hannaford, Honest Catch, Meijer, Open Acres and Waterfront Bistro. The exact products recalled are as follows:
- 2lb. packages of CENSEA, Frozen Cooked, peeled and deveined, Tail Off Shrimps IQF with codes 140313D, 140314D, 140315D, 140316D, and expiration dates 5/7/2022, 5/8/2022, 5/9/2022, 5/10/2022.
- 16 oz. packages of CHICKEN OF THE SEA, Frozen Cooked, peeled and deveined, Tail On Shrimps IQF with Cocktail Sauce with codes 91AS/02UN/216, 91AS/03UN/217 and expiration dates 5/1/2022, 5/2/2022.
- 1-lb. packages of HONEST CATCH, Frozen Cooked, peeled and deveined, Tail On Shrimps IQF with code 3150-GFF and expiration date 11/9/2022.
- 7 lb. packages CWNO, Frozen Cooked, peeled and deveined, Tail On Shrimps IQF with codes 91AS/06UN/220D, 91AS/07UN/221C, 91AS/23HN/206B, 91AS/24HN/207 and expiration dates 1/23/2022, 1/24/2022, 2/6/2022, 2/7/2022.
- 1 lb. packages HANNAFORD, Frozen Cooked, peeled and deveined, Tail On Shrimps IQF with codes AVF 30920 EF, AVF 31020 EF and expiration dates 10/25/2022, 10/26/2022.
- 16-oz. Packages WATERFRONT BISTRO, Frozen Cooked, peeled and deveined, Tail On Shrimps IQF with Cocktail Sauce with codes 20305, 20306 and expiration dates 10/30/2022, 10/31/2022.
- 1 lb. packages OPEN ACRES, Frozen Cooked, peeled and deveined, Tail On Shrimps IQF with codes 02572 0307 11, 02572 0308 11 and expiration dates 11/2/2022, 11/3/2022.
- 2 lb. 365, Frozen Cooked, peeled and deveined, Tail On Shrimps IQF with codes 91AS/29HN/212B, 91AS/30HN/213 and expiration dates 4/29/2022, 4/30/2022.
- 1 lb. packages MEIJER, Frozen Cooked, peeled and deveined, Tail On Shrimps IQF with codes 29720 49982, 29820 49982, 30220 50736, 30320 50736, 30520 49486, 30620 49486, 30920 50737, 31020 50737 and expiration dates 10/22/2022, 10/23/2022, 10/27/2022, 10/28/2022, 10/30/2022, 10/31/2022, 11/3/2022, 11/4/2022.
The CDC estimates Salmonella bacteria cause about 1.35 million infections, 26,500 hospitalizations and 420 deaths in the United States every year. Food is the main source for most of these illnesses and should always be taken seriously.
Symptoms include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps and can begin anywhere from six hours to six days after infection. The good news is that most people recover without treatment within four to seven days, however individuals concerned about the illness should contact their health care provider, especially if experiencing one or more severe symptoms of salmonella, which can include:
- Diarrhea and a fever higher than 102 degrees F
- Diarrhea for more than 3 days that is not improving
- Bloody diarrhea
- So much vomiting that you cannot keep liquids down
- Signs of dehydration, such as:
- Not urinating (peeing) much
- Dry mouth and throat
- Feeling dizzy when standing up
If you have purchased any of these products, do not consume them and return them to your original place of purchase. Consumers with any questions can contact Avanti Frozen Foods at +914023310260/+914023310261 from Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. GMT.
This story originally appeared on EatingWell.
This story originally appeared on eatingwell.com