"For a firm, manageable pastry use butter, not margarine."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Original recipe yields 12 servings (2 dozen)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the 6 tablespoons of cold butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cream over the mixture and toss gently with a fork. Repeat with the remaining cream until all is moistened. Form into a ball.
- Roll the dough to slightly less than 1/8 inch thick. Cut into rounds with a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter. Sprinkle one side of each round with sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet, sugar side up.
- Prick each round in four parallel rows with a fork.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. Remove to a rack and cool completely.
- Make filling as follows. Stir together the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon softened butter, vanilla, food coloring, and enough of the 1 tablespoon cream to make it spreadable.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon of the filling on the flat side of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies, flat side down.
You might also like
Per Serving: 171 calories; 7.9 24.1 1.3 22 50 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This recipe has been passed down in my husband's family since the mid-sixties! If they aren't made at Easter and Christmas, there is going to be trouble!