Ingredients40 m servings 67
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, stirring constantly until well blended. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce, melted chocolate and vanilla. Add to the egg mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually stir into the batter. Fold in chopped walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan before cutting.
Per Serving: 67 calories; 3.8 8.1 0.9 8 26 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
These bars are rather nondescript. They did not have enough chocolate or applesauce to take on either flavor. They also were rather cakey. I prefer chewier bars.
Very moist, not chewy, didn't have a defining flavor. Meaning, you could taste something but it wasn't either applesauce or chocolate. As weird as this might sound, needs to be sweeter or it was...
We had enjoyed the applesauce walnut bars. We would suggest to add more walnuts.