Ingredients40 m servings 67
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, stirring constantly until well blended. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce, melted chocolate and vanilla. Add to the egg mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually stir into the batter. Fold in chopped walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan before cutting.
Per Serving: 67 calories; 3.8 8.1 0.9 8 26 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
These bars are rather nondescript. They did not have enough chocolate or applesauce to take on either flavor. They also were rather cakey. I prefer chewier bars.
Very moist, not chewy, didn't have a defining flavor. Meaning, you could taste something but it wasn't either applesauce or chocolate. As weird as this might sound, needs to be sweeter or it was...