Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 557
- Prepare charcoal for smoking: Light and wait for the gray ash to cover at least 90 percent of the coals. Place the split wood on the coals and wait about 10 minutes before reducing the air flow to make it burn slower.
- Arrange the squash halves cut side down on the grilling surface and close the lid. Slow smoke for 2 hours or less if you prefer them less smoky - as long as they are tender.
- Place bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned and crisp; remove and drain on paper towels.
- Once the squash are smoked, scoop the flesh out of the skins with a large spoon and transfer to a food processor. Process until smooth, adding butter and half of the water. Transfer to a soup pot and stir in the chicken broth and remaining water. Season with cumin, parsley and paprika; simmer over low heat for 40 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, a generous amount of crumbled bacon and cilantro. Dust lightly with cayenne pepper.
Per Serving: 557 calories; 48.7 26.7 8.2 105 659 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
This soup was amazing. Everyone in the house had second and thirds. I wouldn't tell my son what was in it until his third bowl. He doesn't do veggies. I shortened this process considerabley by ...
Delicious! I didnt make it exactly as the recipe called for but it turned out amazing anyway- I didnt smoke the squash-I baked it in the oven until it was soft and scooped it out after. I used t...
This is a great addition to Thanksgiving. If you have a smoker the acorn squash can be cooked for a few hours at the same time as the turkey, which gives it exceptional flavor. A keeper for sure!
I sauteed onion and garlic with a bit of the bacon fat and omitted the butter, the squash to be rich enough. After soup was done, I was under impressed. So, I chopped and sauteed two jalapenos...
WOW !!! This was fantastic. I am a member of a local club and in the fall we have "Soup Saturdays" so I made a large pot. The flavor was awesome. I highly recomend the garnish as it gives a subt...
I made it today. As I harvested it from my garden fresh Acorn. I backed it in a 375 degree oven in shallow baking dish, with water in it. Wrapped it in alumni foil. Mean time,chopped onion, garl...
This was really good! I only used one squash, but didn't scrimp on the bacon, using 4 slices (Applewood Smoked) I also added some onion powder, and was also generous with the fresh parsley. I'll...