- Pour boiling water over raisins and currants to cover. Let steam for 5 minutes, then drain. In a very large bowl combine currants, raisins, gum drops, candied cherries, pitted dates, jelly, spices, and brandy wine or fruit juice. Stir to blend. Cover and let stand overnight.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Grease three 8x4 inch loaf pans.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one. Stir in the vanilla.
- Sift the flour and baking soda together.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the fruit mixture to the creamed mixture. Pour evenly into three loaf pans.
- Bake at 275 degrees F (135 degrees C) for 2-1/4 to 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean.
Per Serving: 393 calories; 12.3 67.2 5.2 64 119 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Fantastic!! Tried it first time today and the number of folks in my house that like fruitcake has gone WAY up!!
Every Christmas our family could hardly wait for my mother to make her delicious fruitcake. I'm not a fan of fruitcake but I loved hers. Mom passed away a few months ago and her infamous fruitca...