Ingredientsservings 467 cals
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Grease four 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans, and then line with brown paper or foil. Grease again.
- In a large container stir raisins, currants, candied fruit mix, candied cherries, maraschino cherries, dates, and 1 cup flour together until all the fruit is well coated with flour.
- Measure 2 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a medium bowl. Stir to mix.
- In a very large bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Beat in egg yolks three at a time. Stir in pineapple with juice and vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with fruit juice in 2 parts to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into batter, and stir in fruit gently. Divide batter among pans. Smooth.
- Bake for about 3 hours until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.
Per Serving: 467 calories; 15.6 g fat; 82.4 g carbohydrates; 5.8 g protein; 72 mg cholesterol; 174 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
It has been a week sence I made these cakes. These cakes do get better with age. They are a little on the dry side.I have them soaking in grape juice. Unable to get currents so I used 3 extra cu...
make this 4 batches of this recipe every year for Christmas presents for friends and family, and it is well received. Instead of orange juice, I substitute double amount of Cointreau.
Very good. Long to make but well worth it. I added extra cherries. Delicious
Excellent recipe! I used smaller loaf pans and got 6 cakes from the recipe. I basted the loafs with rum for about 4 days and they are moist and delicious!