Ingredientsservings 101 cals
- Rinse fennel. Trim off stems, and reserve about 1 cup of the tender green leaves. Trim any bruises or dry looking areas from fennel. Cut each bulb in half from stem through root end.
- Lay fennel bulb pieces in a 10 inch frying pan, and add broth. Cover, and bring to a boil on high heat. Simmer until fennel is tender when pierced, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer fennel to a shallow casserole, 9 to 10 inched wide; lay cut side up.
- Boil broth, uncovered, on high heat until reduced to about 1/2 cup. Stir in about half the fennel leaves. Spoon mixture evenly over fennel.
- Mash cheese with bread crumbs. Dot mixture evenly over fennel. If making ahead, cover and chill up to 1 day. Also wrap remaining fennel leaves in a towel, seal in a plastic bag, and chill.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) until cheese begins to brown and fennel is hot, about 20 minutes. Tuck remaining leaves around fennel. Season to taste with salt.
Per Serving: 101 calories; 4.7 g fat; 10.3 g carbohydrates; 5.8 g protein; 11 mg cholesterol; 438 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
The blue cheese/bread crumb mixture didn't melt into the fennel as I was expecting at all -- it just lay there on top. The fennel was okay. I'll look for another recipe for fennel.
Everyone at the family thanksgiving were impressed and it was so simple to make.