Cajun Prime Rib
Ingredients4 h servings 1086
- Carefully slice the fat cap from the top of the prime rib roast, being careful not to slice into the meat. Set the fat aside. Completely cover the roast with black pepper, then with garlic powder, then with salt. Cover the layer of salt with sliced onion. You may have to secure some of the onion with toothpicks. Lay the fat cap back in place over the onions, and secure to the roast with toothpicks. Use bacon to cover the rest of the onions, and secure with toothpicks as well. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil, and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 550 degrees F (285 degrees C) - basically all the way up! open all of the windows and turn on all your fans. Unwrap the roast, and pierce with a knife several times. Rewrap, and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Roast for 35 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven, and let cool slightly - no longer than 30 minutes. Return to the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat a grill for high heat. Remove the fat cap and bacon, and scrape off the onions and seasoning. Use a sharp knife to slice the roast into steaks. Each rib will yield 2 steaks, one with a bone, and one without. Season steaks with your desired amount of Cajun seasoning. Bacon may be grilled, or set aside for other uses.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill steaks to your desired degree of doneness.
Per Serving: 1086 calories; 87.5 10 61.3 224 959 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
So good! We did this camping and in a Dutch Oven/on a grill and it was perfect. I'm usually not one for too spicy food, but the more cajun spice that was added, the better it tasted!
This is the best recipe for prime rib ever! I followed the instructions exactly and it turned out wonderful.
Very good way to prepare prime rib. The spice is not too much and it looks hard to make but it really is pretty quick other then the waiting time for it to marinate.
This is the best prime rib I've ever had. I served it to my company and they raved.