Grilled Fajita Steak Salad With Pickled Pink Onions
USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
- Mix garlic and lime juice; set aside 3 Tbs. of mixture for a post-grill marinade. For dressing, add a generous pinch of salt and pepper to the remaining lime juice mixture and slowly whisk in oil; set aside.
- Mix cumin, salt and pepper in a small dish. Rub steaks on both sides with oil, and season with cumin mixture. Brush peppers with oil, then season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine onion with vinegar and a pinch of salt. Set all aside.
- Build a fire on only one side of grill (to conserve charcoal). When coals are covered with white ash, place steak and peppers on rack over direct heat, cover and grill until steaks are well seared, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium to medium-rare meat.
- Transfer steaks to plate and immediately drizzle with reserved lime mixture. Transfer peppers to a cutting board, and cut each quarter in thirds to get 24 pieces of pepper. Let sit 5 minutes or up to 1 hour. Thinly slice steak across grain. Toss greens with dressing. Arrange in six shallow bowls. Top with steak, peppers, pickled onions and a dollop of sour cream.
- FOR GAS GRILL
- At least 10 minutes before cooking, turn all burners on high. Clean rack with a wire brush, then use tongs to wipe paper towels soaked in vegetable oil over it. Add steak and peppers; cover and cook without turning until well seared, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn steaks and peppers and continue to grill, covered, 3 to 4 minutes longer for medium to medium-rare meat.
- Copyright 2005 USA WEEKEND and columnist Pam Anderson. All rights reserved.
Per Serving: 384 calories; 30.6 8.4 19.2 62 65 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
This is a great recipe. The directions are simple and easy to follow and the result is delicious!! I will be looking for more of Pam Anderson's recipes in the future.
I used this recipe for steak fajitas...minus the salad part. Instead of pickling the onions, I sliced thin and cooked them with the peppers on a "skillet" over the fire next to the steak. Very...
I served this for company and everybody asked for the recipe. It's a great-tasting, healthful entree salad that's easy to prepare. I would definitely make this again. The pickled red onions w...
The recipe is outstanding! I was surprised by how easy it was. The meat is tender and the flavor out of this world! My husband and kids ate it all up and raved about how incredible it was. You...
Great recipe - the flavors blend beautifully. I made it as written and added chopped tomato and avocado. My only complaint is about how tart the lime-garlic dressing is when you get to the botto...
Next time I make this I'll use Tri-tip steak with spicy Montreal seasoning- the cumin rub wasn't that great. Cilantro would be great, too. This salad was AWESOME!!!!!!
Best recipe in a long time... would add a quarter cup of cilantro on top of the salad to really bring the flavors home. Could not ask for a tastier summer salad! Enjoy!