Grilled Mojo Chicken Salad With Asparagus and Oranges
USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
Ingredientsservings 386 cals
- Whisk first seven ingredients plus 2 Tbs. oil in a 2-cup measuring cup. Pour all but 3/4 cup of mixture into a gallon-sized zipper bag. Add chicken; seal and refrigerate 30 minutes to 4 hours. Whisk 1/4 cup of oil into remaining mixture for dressing. Peel and section oranges. Sprinkle asparagus with oil, salt, pepper.
- Build a fire on only one side of grill (to conserve charcoal). When coals are covered with white ash, place chicken on rack over direct heat, cover and grill until well browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn, cover and grill another 4 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken and add asparagus, spears perpendicular to rack. Grill 3 to 5 minutes, until well browned and just cooked through.
- Remove chicken and let stand for 5 minutes or up to 1 hour. Cut, crosswise, into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Toss greens, oranges, salt and pepper with most of the dressing. Arrange salad in six shallow bowls. Place chicken and asparagus over each. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
- FOR GAS GRILL
- At least 10 minutes before cooking, turn all burners on high. Clean rack with a wire brush, then use tongs to wipe paper towels soaked in vegetable oil over it. Place chicken and asparagus on rack, being careful not to overcrowd. Cover and cook until chicken and asparagus are well browned, about 3 minutes. Turn and continue to grill, covered, until asparagus is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes longer, and chicken has cooked through, 5 to 9 minutes longer, depending on thickness.
- Copyright 2005 USA WEEKEND and columnist Pam Anderson. All rights reserved.
Per Serving: 386 calories; 17.2 g fat; 27.2 g carbohydrates; 32.5 g protein; 75 mg cholesterol; 290 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 14
Both my boyfriend and I really enjoyed this recipe. I cut each chicken breast into 3 pieces and marinated for about 3 1/2 hours. I then grilled inside on a George Foreman and both the chicken ...
Adjustments I made were simple. Instead of making the mojo marinade, I bought Goya's Mojo marinade (check in the Spanish sections of your grocery store!). I left about one-fifth of the bottle fo...
Gosh, is this ever an overlooked recipe! This meat-salad-vegetable-and-fruit recipe, all wrapped up into a one-dish meal, is SO delicious and pretty healthy too! I only had time to marinate th...
This was pretty good. I didn't grill the asparagus because it was for a party & I grilled ahead of time. I steamed it, but it would be better grilled. Next, I used canned mandarin oranges rath...
I've made this recipe twice now, and it comes out fabulously! Perfect for entertaining, deliciously balanced and unique flavors. Don't change a thing!
This was okay, but I'm pretty sure it's because I used fresh-squeezed orange juice instead of the concentrate. Will make this again to taste the difference!
This is so good and summer-y! I used vegetarian "chicken" substitute and tangerines instead of oranges. Everyone loved it!
I agree this should be posted as recipe of the day it is WONDERFUL!!! I gave this to my mother-in-law and it is so hard for her to eat any other dressing now lol... GREAT RECIPE..