Ingredients40 m servings 259
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl; mix together shortening, white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and egg yolks. Stir in water and vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Combine with egg and sugar mixture; blend well. Stir in chocolate chips. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup brown sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Spread meringue on top of base, covering completely.
- Bake in preheated oven until meringue has risen and light brown in color, about 15 to 20 minutes. Leave to cool before cutting into bars.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 259 calories; 13.5 34.6 2.5 23 173 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
this was sooooo good! it took around 20-25 min to get completely cooked, but i just waited for the meringue to get a nice tan on it, and took it out. the edges were beginning to crack a bit, and...
This recipe has great potential, but I had a couple of problems with it. First of all, these bars had a very nice flavor, but needed a little salt! I did substitute unsweetened applesauce for 1/...