- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat well. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk. Pour into two 8 inch round cake pans.
- Wash and dry beaters and bowl thoroughly. In a large, bowl beat egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the rum extract until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Drop small spoonfuls of meringue over unbaked batter in pans, then carefully spread out to cover. Sprinkle pecans over meringue and press lightly into surface.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pans. Turn cake layers meringue side up and let cool thoroughly. About 1 to 2 hours before serving, make the filling: Combine whipping cream, confectioners sugar, and the remaining vanilla. Beat until soft peaks form. Fold in pineapple.
- Place one layer, meringue side up, on cake plate. Spread filling over. Place second layer on top with meringue side up. Chill 1 to 2 hours. Store in refrigerator.
Per Serving: 163 calories; 9.3 18.6 2 43 96 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
I made this cake for years with a recipe on the back of a cake box. I lost the recipe and it's not on the cake box any more. I was thrilled to find it here. Easy to goof on but it is so delic...
Excellent "grown-up" cake! Kids didn't care for it, but adults all loved the cool, creamy filling and interesting blend of crunchy nuts and meringue and soft cake. Thanks!
I made this cake for a new daughter-in-law for her birthday. She is a pinapple lover. Today she asked me to make it for her again. It is good, and I'm not a pinapple lover. Try it, it's differen...
Fabulous! I used a quart of strawberries instead of the pineapple and doubled the whipping cream.
I thought it was delicious. The meringue made the cake crunchy and sweet. Great recipe!