- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch tube pan. Line bottom with parchment paper and grease again.
- In large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs and blend well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Combine 1/2 cup of flour with nuts, raisins, dates and 1/2 cup cherries, stir until coated. Set aside.
- Add remaining 2 3/4 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and salt to egg mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened, then beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold fruit and nut mixture and applesauce into batter. Pour batter into a 10 inch tube pan. Arrange cherry halves and pecans on top.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for 1hour and 15 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Cool upright in pan 5 minutes. Turn upright onto wire rack and remove pan and parchment paper. Cool completely.
Per Serving: 625 calories; 28.6 90.3 8 31 271 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
I have made this recipe twice already, and everyone absolutely loves it!! I like it for the fact that there is not one bit of citron/candied fruit in it. Everything is "natural", and the added ...
I always made the fruitcake with the mincemeat and sweetened condensed milk; but this year I decided to try this, because I had a lot of applesauce leftover from something else. It is wonderfull...
Delicious! Moist and spicy. I didn't use cherries or nuts, and I think I like it that way. Yum, yum!
Very simple recipe. The applesauce makes it moist. I added dried cranberries too.