Amalgamation Cake II
- Bake white cake mix, following package directions, in two layers (either 8 or 9 inch).
- Filling: In a double boiler, combine egg yolks, flour, 2 cups sugar and butter. Cook, stirring, until thick.
- Add walnuts, pecans, raisins and coconut. Mix well. Spread filling between layers, on sides and top of cooled cake.
- Icing: Combine sugar and water in a saucepan; stir until well blended. Boil slowly without stirring until mixture will spin a long thread when a little is dropped from a spoon (hold the spoon high above saucepan), or reaches 238 - 242 degrees F (114 - 117 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer until they are stiff, but still moist. Pour hot syrup slowly over egg whites while beating. Continue until mixture is very fluffy, and will hold its shape. Spread over cake.
Per Serving: 529 calories; 29 67 5.6 89 252 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Wow! What a cake! I made it with a blue ribbon white cake, also found here, and they balanced together beautifully! Delicious! Thank you for sharing it with us!
I followed this recipe exactly. The filling wouldn't stick together and I had a very large bowl full of the filling, but it wouldn't spread or stick together. It was awful !
This was a very nice cake that my family enjoyed. However, they found that the frosting wasn't right for the cake. Instead, I used my grandmother's butter cream frosting, which added an extra ri...