Eggplant Salsa and Homemade Pita Chips
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 149
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Slice the tops off of the eggplants, and place on a baking sheet with the red pepper halves. Drizzle with olive oil to lightly coat.
- Bake for about 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until eggplant is tender. Remove from the oven, and place the eggplant and peppers into a large resealable bag. Seal, and let sit for 15 minutes to loosen the skin. Remove from the bag, peel off the skins, and dice the eggplants and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place the tomatoes, and garlic in to the bowl with the roasted vegetables, and season with salt, pepper and cilantro. Mix until well blended. Set aside.
- Set the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Peel apart the pita breads into two thin circles. You may cut off the edges to make it easier. Brush melted butter onto what used to be the inside, and stack together. Cut into strips, then cut across at a diagonal to make diamond shapes. If you have kitchen scissors, it will be easy. Place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake the pita chips for 5 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly toasted. Stir occasionally if they overlap.
You might also like
Per Serving: 149 calories; 6.9 20.5 3.6 8 120 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I didn't care for this salsa. It was way too much trouble to make and it tasted rather bland. Also, the pita chips did not crisp when cooked. Tasted better with tortilla chips.