- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans or a 10 inch tube pan with greased parchment or heavy paper.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Cut the gumdrops in fourths. Fry the pecans in the 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Mix pecans, raisins, and gumdrops together, and roll in 3/4 cup of flour mixture.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter or margarine and white sugar. Mix in beaten eggs. Mix in the flour and spice mixture alternately with the applesauce. Dissolve soda in hot water, and stir into batter. Stir in the vanilla. Stir in nuts, gumdrops, and raisins.
- Bake for 2 hours. The baking time for the tube pan should be about 30 to 40 minutes longer. Test about 10 minutes before the longer time. You may not get a clean tester, but you will be able to tell if it is the candy gumdrop or dough. Cool. Wrap in foil.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 329 calories; 10.4 58.2 3.2 32 130 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
I also have made this for years. Just thought I would see if others had the same recipe,was delighted to see someoneelse has this great recipe. Its great for gifts, when you make small giveaway ...
Love it! Must use BAKING gumdrops/gums; you can't substitute regular gumdrops or JuJubes, etc because they will just melt. Adds colour & whimsy to your plate of holiday goodies. We replaced our ...
This is the same recipe that my grandma made for years--I can still see her in the kitchen cutting up the gumdrops with her scissors. One helpful hint is to keep the sugar handy to dip your sci...
My mom used to make this every Christmas too. Someone had mentioned in their review they didn't cook the nuts. If you warm the nuts in butter over low heat, the flavor will be more enhanced. A...
Very tasty and moist fruitcake and doesn't use expensive candied fruit either! I didn't bother with frying the pecans, but did follow the recipe other than that. I made 8 mini loaves to put on...
Lost my recipe and have been searching for one like it. Was so glad to find this! Thanks for posting it. This is so much better than the traditional fruitcake-no moans and groans when you giv...
Changing my rating now that the baking, cooling and finally a taste test ... why was I so worried? This will definitely be a new tradition. Thank you so much for this treasure!!! We all love it