Poor Man's Cake II
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 192 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Place cold water, brown sugar, raisins, lard, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large saucepan. Bring this combination to a boil. Let simmer for a full 6 minutes, then allow mixture to cool to lukewarm. Set aside.
- In small mixing bowl, combine flour and soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the cooled mixture. Add vanilla, and blend into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 90 to 120 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool. Store for at least a week before cutting. This cake will remain moist for months.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 192 calories; 5.9 g fat; 34.2 g carbohydrates; 1.8 g protein; 5 mg cholesterol; 140 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
My grandmother baked this cake for my dad for his birthday when he was a boy, he is now 87. I was so excited when I found the recipe, it is meant to be heavy and a bit dry. To avoid that if you...