- To Make Starter: Mix 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 cups warm water, 1/4 ounce yeast in a bowl, cover and let stand over night (cover should be loose). Refrigerate and stir daily. On fifth day feed Herman one cup flour, 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup sugar; stir and refrigerate. Stir daily until 10th day. On 10th day remove 1 cup starter and feed as on fifth day.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease four 8 inch pans or three 9 inch pans.
- Mix together 1 cup starter, white sugar, self rising flour, salt, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, oil, eggs, raisins, 1 cup chopped nuts, honey (optional). Stir until combined. Pour into prepared pans. Top with sugar-nut topping.
- Dot with 1/2 cup butter or margarine and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Remove cakes from oven and pour glaze over still-warm cakes.
- To Make Sugar-Nut Topping: Mix together 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- To Make Glaze: Combine 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons melted margarine, 2 tablespoons milk. Use immediately to glaze cake.
Per Serving: 204 calories; 10.4 27.1 2.3 19 151 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This sourdough spiced coffee cake is heavenly. My kids love the fruit and nuts added. I have tried an the equally good coffee cake "Amish Friendship Cake" and do not find them to be the same.
I cut the recipe in half, and it didn't look like enough batter for 2 square pans. I put it all in one square pan but then had to cook for double the stated time, so maybe I should have done 2 :...
I made recipe as directed, but baked in a single, nonstick, 9x13. deep cake pan. The cook time increased to thirty minutes. The glaze did not look impressive at first, however as someone else ...
My first time leaving a review. This was the worst recipe I have ever made. I don't know how people mixed it up because mine was so thick. There wasn't any liquid except for the 1 cup starter ...