Lemon Cake with Lemon Filling and Lemon Orange Frosting
Ingredients2 h servings 771 cals
- Grease and flour four 9 inch cake pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Sift together flour, cream of tartar, and baking powder four times. Set aside.
- Beat 8 egg yolks with a rotary or electric beater until very thick, light, and creamy. Add the 2 cups sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, and continue beating until mixture is smooth and pale yellow. Stir in 1 grated lemon rind and juice of 1 lemon. Quickly fold in the flour mixture until well incorporated.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, whip the 8 egg whites until peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Spoon into cake pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from sides of pans. Loosen edges with a knife and turn out on cake racks to cool while you prepare the filling and frosting.
- To Make Lemon Jelly Filling: Mix 6 egg yolks with 2 cups sugar, grated rind of 2 lemons, and juice of 4 lemons. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Add 1/2 cup butter and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 20 minutes or until filling is smooth and very thick. Cool, then spread between layers of cooled cake.
- To Make Lemon-Orange Frosting: Beat the 1/4 cup butter until it has the appearance of thick cream, stir in 6 cups confectioners sugar, a little at a time, and continue working until mixture is very smooth. Beat in 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Stir in enough orange juice to make a spreadable frosting, then add grated rind of 1 lemon and 2 grated orange rinds. Spread on sides and top of cake.
Per Serving: 771 calories; 17.8 g fat; 151.3 g carbohydrates; 8.5 g protein; 273 mg cholesterol; 205 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I decided not to pay attention to the reviews and go ahead and make this cake. Big mistake this was absoultely terrible. I had a lot of lemons and I wanted to get rid of them this was not the ...
I found this cake to be a pain in the tooth. Very sweet and not easy to transport to another place. But still something you should try if you like old fashion recipes.