Almond Rum Cake
Ingredients2 h servings 293 cals
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch tube pan and sprinkle the almonds evenly over the bottom.
- Separate the eggs. In a bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Beat in the egg yolks, then the vanilla, almond extract, lemon juice, lemon rind, and milk.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat into the creamed mixture. Stir in about 1/3 of the egg whites to lighten the batter and then fold in the rest gently but thoroughly. Turn batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1-1/2 hours or until cake tests done when a toothpick inserted neat the center comes out clean. As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, sprinkle the top evenly with the rum. Transfer to a rack to cool. Makes about 14 servings.
Per Serving: 293 calories; 12.9 g fat; 39.5 g carbohydrates; 5.2 g protein; 64 mg cholesterol; 222 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This cake was SOOOOOOOOOOO good. I too adapted it a little more to add more rummy goodness. I left out the lemon zest and juice and added 2 tsp of rum. I also used 6 tbsp of butter and 1/4 cu...
I used the basis of this recipe to make a very rummy cake that came out super good. What I changed: Swap almond extract for equal amounts of rum extract. Leave out the lemon zest. Swap the 2 tsp...