- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Place a pan of water in oven. Grease thoroughly and line with heavy brown paper one set of tier pans (one 9 inch, one 7 inch, and one 5 inch).
- In a large bowl combine ground almonds and fruits. Dredge with one cup flour.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup flour and shortening. Gradually blend in white sugar. Beat in egg yolks and almond flavoring; beat until very light and fluffy. Mix together brandy and milk; add alternately with 4 1/2 cups flour to creamed mixture. Make 3 dry and 2 liquid additions, combining lightly after each.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar to form stiff but moist peaks. Fold into batter. Fold in floured fruit mixture.
- Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, depending on size of pan. Bake each cake until it tests done with a toothpick. Remove from pans, and lift off paper. Cool.
Per Serving: 430 calories; 11.1 75.9 6.4 46 55 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Came out very dense and dry. It's everything that I feared in a "fruitcake". It did, however, have a decent taste. I will not be making this again.
The low quantity of fat and high amount of flour in this recipe, as well as the whipped egg whites, too long baking time, too high baking temperature and too little liquid, makes a tough, dry fr...
This was my first fruitcake experience making them. I was desparately trying to duplicate a recipe from my Grandma that died with her when I was a young girl. All my mother could remember abou...