Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 40 m servings 257 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9-inch tube pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine the water and the white sugar, boil until mixture spins a thread approximately 225 degrees F (110 degrees C).
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy but not stiff. Add hot syrup slowly to egg whites, beating until cool, about 15 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Fold 1/3 cup of the egg whites into the beaten egg yolks to lighten.
- Sift 1 cup flour over the egg whites and gently fold in. Add almond flavoring.
- Sift remaining flour over egg yolks and fold in orange flavoring. Spoon egg white batter and egg yolk batter alternately into one ungreased 9-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour. Once cool frost with yellow tinted Seven Minute Frosting.
Per Serving: 257 calories; 5.2 g fat; 44.2 g carbohydrates; 8.2 g protein; 186 mg cholesterol; 265 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This is a "Sunshine Cake" much like an Angel Food Cake. Eggs must be handled very carefully as the perfectly beaten egg whites are what leaven or raise the cake. Cream of tartar is what is add...