- In a saucepan, combine chocolate, 1/2 cup milk, brown sugar, and egg yolks. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until custard is thick and smooth. Cool.
- Stir together flour, soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter or margarine. Blend in white sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Mix together 3/4 cup milk and vanilla. Stir flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with flavored milk. Make 3 dry and 2 liquid additions, combining lightly after each. Stir in cooled chocolate custard.
- Beat egg whites to form stiff but moist peaks. Fold into cake batter, and beat by hand for 1 minute. Turn batter into two greased and floured 8 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool layers for 5 minutes, and then remove from pans. Cool completely.
Per Serving: 294 calories; 12.8 42.9 4.6 53 325 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This is a very acceptable moist chocolate cake. There have been complaints about it being dry so may I offer a few hints: you should use butter and whole milk and when you beat the egg white...
Very disappointing. I was expecting a custard like cake. This cake was dry and very much like a boxed cake mix. I felt like crying after the taste test. What a waste of my time and ingredien...
It was a waste of time and ingredients and it was very dry! Not what I was expecting at all.