Pumpkin Chile Vichyssoise
Ingredients2 h 25 m servings 209
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Bake the pumpkin on a baking sheet in the preheated oven until soft, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Combine 2 cups chicken broth and chile peppers in a saucepan over medium-low heat; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in the butter until caramelized, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cook leeks in the same stockpot until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add pumpkin, chicken broth with chile peppers, caramelized onion, remaining 3 cups chicken broth, and cumin. Simmer until flavors combine, about 5 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Add bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in buttermilk. Discard bay leaf before serving.
- Cook's Note:
- If soup is too thick, thin with broth or buttermilk to taste.
Per Serving: 209 calories; 2.3 44.3 7.5 8 909 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This is a great tasting recipe that is just crying out for help with the instructions. Vichyssoise is a French soup that is smooth and for lack of a better description--the consistency of baby ...
This is a good recipe for a relatively low-fat yet flavorful pumpkin soup, especially if you're not a fan of pie-spiced pumpkin. The soup MUST be pureed thoroughly after cooking, or the chiles ...
I'm really stumped as to why this recipe has 5 stars... these directions are written rather poorly.