"This is a great showpiece and a delight to eat."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 55 m servings 346
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 8-inch layer cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Beat egg whites in mixing bowl until medium-stiff peaks form; set aside. Sift together flour and cocoa powder; whisk in ground pecans and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks; mix in 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules and beat well. Fold yolk mixture into egg whites. Gently fold in flour, cocoa, and pecan mixture. Spread batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cakes cool slightly, then remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks.
- To Make Mocha Cream: Dissolve 1 tablespoon coffee granules in boiling water. Cool. Beat whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar together in a cold mixing bowl until stiff. Mix in cooled coffee.
- Fill and frost cake with Mocha Cream and garnish with pecan halves. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- If you like, you can use a long serrated knife to trim the tops of the cakes to make them more even before filling and frosting the layers.
Per Serving: 346 calories; 27.7 20.9 5.9 157 47 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I have never made a torte before so I didn't know exactly what to expect but I liked the results. I did expect it to be a little moister but that will probably get better as I practice this rec...