- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9 inch layer cake pans.
- Cream the shortening, add the sugar gradually.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. Fold the beaten egg whites and the vanilla into the cake batter. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 130 calories; 4.5 20.9 1.9 < 1 85 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I made cupcakes and was disappointed. It was exceptionally dry and doughy. If I had folded in the egg whites without the additional 1/4 C. milk, I don't believe the batter would have accepted...
Very flavorful cake, I did add 1/4cup more milk to the batter(batter was way too dry) probably would never make again
This is lovely, made as the recipe instructs. Light, sweet, slightly sponge-y, and will be perfect with fruit. It is quite sweet, and not everyone will want a sweet frosting on it. Do NOT add...
amazing. used a 9 inch square, baked for 1 hour, and was amazing. can't say how amazing it is. so simple and disappearing as i write this