Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 371 cals
- Pour boiling water over dates in a small bowl, and let stand until cool.
- Measure flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and nuts into a small bowl. Stir to mix.
- Cream 1/4 cup butter or margarine and white sugar together in a mixing bowl; beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture in three parts alternately with date mixture in two parts, beginning and ending with dry mixture. Spread batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.
- To Make Topping: Mix coconut, brown sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil for three minutes. Spread over warm cake, and brown under broiler.
Per Serving: 371 calories; 16.9 g fat; 54 g carbohydrates; 3.6 g protein; 48 mg cholesterol; 340 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 30
This is the recipe that I use with one small change. Instead of using 1 cup pitted chopped dates, I use 1 375 gram package of jaffa dates. I hadn't made this cake for some time and inadvertently...
I have made this cake many times and each time it is a hit, young and old. I like to serve it with a dallop of fresh whipping cream. It's easy to make and take and trust me not a crumb will re...
I used pecans instead of walnuts and depending on my mood, sometimes I "double up" on the topping...doing this makes for a VERY rich cake, but super moist! One of my favorite recipes!
One of the best cakes I've ever made. You can make as is, but to make it a bit more adult, I soak the fruit in 3/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of dark rum, brandy or cognac. Any dried fruit works g...
This is a wonderful cake that my grandmother had been making for over 60 years. It's in demand for Xmas at our house. It's a treat for the adults, not a kiddie cake, althought they love it too. ...
This is a great standard cake recipe. To fancy it up I add sliced almonds with the topping with or without the coconut.Looks more impressive with the almonds and tastes even better.
I have made 4 of these cakes in the last week. It is WONDERFUL!! My boss asked me to make it for his B-Day. He said his Grandmother made it for him every year and he had not had it since he wa...
I truly enjoyed this cake, it is so delicious.I was happy to find the recipe, after trying it at a bake sale they charged 2.85 for small slab. Thanks again Carol, it really made my day when I fi...