Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 468 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9 inch round layer cake pans.
- In small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. In another small mixer bowl beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored; set aside.
- In large mixer bowl combine butter and sugar. Beat until very light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolks. With mixer at low speed add dry ingredients alternately with milk and vanilla, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Divide evenly among prepared pans. Spread to edges.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Make Seven Minute Frosting (see footnote). Remove one third of the Seven Minute Frosting and place it in a mixing bowl with the macaroon crumbs, pecans, almonds, cherries, lemon juice, and orange rind. Fold together until thoroughly blended. Use this mixture as the filling between the three cake layers, and use the remaining 2/3 of the frosting to cover the tops and sides of the cake.
- Use the recipe for Seven Minute Frosting to make the filling and frosting for this cake.
Per Serving: 468 calories; 19 g fat; 69.5 g carbohydrates; 6.4 g protein; 149 mg cholesterol; 469 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
mmmmm!!!! this cake is realllly good, at least the cake part is (no frosting/filling). i'm usually very skeptical about yellow cakes though because they tend to be a bit dense but this recipe t...
This cake was very very good.it was soft,moist,and very very tasty!i had 6 yolks instead of the 7 yolks in the recipe and it came out GREAT!!I have already copied it down in my recipe book.oh,an...
My grandmother used to make this cake for my dad and his brothers when they were growing up. On Dad's 75th birthday, I found this recipe and made it for him. The smile on his face went from ear...
Ok this only gets 4 stars b/c I didn't actually make the whole cake. I have been looking for a great yellow cake recipe and decided to try this one. This it IT. This is my definitive yellow cake...
If you want a light and fluffy yellow cake this is it. It is wonderful. I made this for the first time Friday and made a small extra cake so I could try it. It is out of this world. I did not us...
The cake turned out perfectly. I give it 5 stars, however my 7 minute frosting was lacking. The cake was moist and had a nice flavor.
Rating the cake, not the frosting. This cake was good, but not fantastic. I baked it on a Thursday, wrapped in plastic overnight then layered, filled, frosted and covered in marshmallow fondan...