Deep Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cake
Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 363
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch round pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Sift together the cake flour and salt.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in a double boiler. Turn into mixing bowl, and cool to room temperature; this mixture must be cool. Mix in the sugar. Blend in egg yolks and 1 cup milk.
- Pour in the flour and salt, and mix just until incorporated. Beat batter with electric mixer for 1 minute, and then blend in vanilla and 1/2 cup milk. Dissolve baking soda in the remaining 1/4 cup milk; stir into the batter quickly and thoroughly. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the surface of the cakes spring back lightly when pressed with a finger, about 30 minutes. Cool cakes on wire racks.
- Prepare Seven Minute Frosting, omitting vanilla (see Footnote for link). Tint the frosting a delicate pink with a few drops of food coloring, and add 1/4 cup crushed candy. Frost and fill the cooled cake. Garnish with bits of crushed candy.
- Click here for the Seven Minute Frosting recipe.
- Cook's Note:
- This cake can also be baked in a 13x9x2-inch pan for about 45 minutes, or in two 9x9x2-inch square pans for about 30 minutes.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe does not include the frosting ingredients. The actual amount of the frosting consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 363 calories; 10.4 66.3 4.8 47 300 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I loved this recipe. The only complaint I got was that the cake was a little dry. I would make this again, but maybe tone down the peppermint a little.
Wonderful cake! We used peppermint extract instead of vanilla & it was perfect (same measurement). Icing was too heavy for us, so we used cool whip to frost & added the peppermint candies. Per...