- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 13x9 inch cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter or margarine and sugar until light. Beat in eggs, one at a time; add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cocoa powder. Add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating after each addition. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cake cool in pan. Frost with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting. Cut into squares to serve.
- To Make Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting: Melt the semi-sweet chocolate pieces and 4 T butter or margarine over low heat. Remove from heat. Blend in the sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar to make spreading consistency. Beat well. Spread over cooled cake.
Per Serving: 525 calories; 23 81.6 5.6 70 369 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
The frosting was delicious. The cake is dark and moist. I used leftover sauerkraut I had from dinner (knockwurst and potatoes). My son thought it was chocolate cake with coconut in it. He's ...
I'm glad I made this while my husband was out or he would have never tried it! You really can't taste the sauerkraut outside of the texture and it has the texture of coconut! Next time I might a...
This is a very moist chocolate cake. I made this when no one was around to see me put the sauerkraut in the batter. I took this to work and we played 'guess the ingredient'. Ten different peo...
I followed the recipe exactly and everyone loved it. It's rich and moist. No one could tell it was made with sauerkraut. They only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because of the frosting, it w...
Served a third of the cake to husband and friend and took the rest to a party cut into squares. Everyone loved it. So moist. I didn't have unsweetened cocoa powder, so I swapped the chocolate...