Halloween Layer Cake
"Halloween is celebrated by young and old and I am enclosing a good cake recipe for such a festive occasion."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 249
Original recipe yields 24 servings (2 - 9 inch round cakes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line the bottoms of two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and white sugar.
- Beat shortening until light and fluffy. Mix in dry ingredients. Add 3/4 cup of buttermilk and mix until all flour is dampened. Then beat with electric mixer. Add egg whites, melted chocolate, and remaining buttermilk, beat well and pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. When cake is cool frost between layer and over top and sides with Golden Orange Frosting. Mark outlines of Halloween cats and bats by lightly pressing paper cut-outs into frosting, then removing paper. Melt 1 square unsweetened chocolate with 1 tsp. butter. Using a brush, fill in the outlines with the chocolate mixture.
- To Make Golden Orange Frosting: Cream together butter, orange rind, lemon rind, and salt. Add egg yolk and mix well. Add confectioners sugar, alternately with orange juice and lemon juice, beating well after each addition. Makes 2 cups frosting, or enough to cover tops and sides of two 9 inch layers.
You might also like
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 249 calories; 8.4 43.6 2.4 16 212 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This cake was okay... I think next time, I will double the amount of chocolate, 1 ounce was not enough. The icing was very very good. I left out the raw egg yolk and used 4 tbls of milk inste...