Ingredientsservings 870 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour four 8 inch round cake pans.
- Cream 1 cup of the butter or margarine, 2 cups of the white sugar, and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture in three parts alternately with the milk in two parts, beginning and ending with flour.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Spread the batter evenly into the four prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool. Once cool spread Lane Cake Filling between layers and frost with Seven Minute or Butter Frosting.
- To Make Lane Cake Filling: Put 1/2 cup of the butter or margarine and 1-1/4 cups of the white sugar into the top of a double boiler away from the heat. Beat together. Add egg yolks and beat well. Stir in water and brandy flavoring. Place over boiling water. Cook and stir until thickened. Add pecans, raisins, cherries and coconut. Stir filling until all ingredients are well combined. Remove from heat. Allow filling to cool before spreading between cooled cake layers.
Per Serving: 870 calories; 41 g fat; 118.5 g carbohydrates; 11.9 g protein; 239 mg cholesterol; 596 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 11
I would have given this recipe 5 stars. However, to have a superb Lane Cake you're going to need a LOT more liquor! In her original recipe, Emma Rylander Lane calls for a full wine glass of wh...
My grandmother used to make this cake at Christmas. I looked everywhere for this recipe, but could only find modernized versions. This is a very good recipe. It does take an eternity to make p...
This recipe is time consuming but well worth it. I first tried it in 9th grade when a fellow student prepared it while we were reading "To Kill a Mockingbird".
True, this cake took quite some time. However, the results were worth it! The cake had a fabulous texture, but I omited the cherries and coconut. I also took some to my English teacher while we ...
I made this a while back for my class after reading "To Kill A Mockingbird" and everybody loved it! My teacher told me after one bite "Normal people can't so this" He was practically dancing as ...
I didn't even know this recipe was in TKAM. I was in the 8th grade, and my grandmother was still making Lane Cakes every Christmas when I read that book! I have been looking for this recipe fo...
Love making this cake for the Fiance but instead of using brandy flavoring I use Whiskey...