Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 357
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line the bottom of two 9 inch round pans, two 9 inch square pans, or one 10 x 16 inch pan.
- Combine sifted flour, baking powder, and salt; sift together three times.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar gradually, and continue beating only until meringue will hold up in soft peaks.
- Cream shortening. Add remaining 1-1/4 cups sugar gradually, and cream together until light and fluffy. Add flour alternately with milk, a small amount at a time; beat after each addition until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Add meringue, and beat thoroughly into batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan or pans.
- Bake cake in 9 inch round pans or 10 x 16 inch pan for about 30 minutes. The baking time for the square pans is 25 minutes. Cool. Spread Lemon Orange Filling between layers, and Snowy Boiled Icing over top and sides of cake. Decorate plate with small flowers.
Per Serving: 357 calories; 12.5 56.4 5.5 3 356 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
I made this cake yesterday for my in-laws' 35th anniversary and it went over very well! One guest thought it was the best cake she's ever had. I made the cake with 2 round layers and it served...
i did this cake the best / ty so munch / cool cake / for teen birthday / 16 went over well / everyone like the cake / the teen like it / now that cool when teen like it / ty a gain / hava
This cake was a disappointment. It did cook evenly without much of a crest. However, It sunk while cooling, it was dry and had a bland but over sweet taste. Texture was spongy and did not hold...
I made this cake and we LOVED it. It did fall apart thought. It was AMAZING. The second time I made it for my parents anniversary it was perfect. It had a little crunch on the edge but that mad...