Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 646
- Cream butter and 1 cup sugar together. Beat in 3 eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt gently. Add milk if needed.
- Divide batter into 2 equal parts. Add food coloring to 1 part to make a deep pink color. Grease two 7 inch square pans. Spread batters into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand in pans 5 minutes. Turn out on racks to cool.
- Trim edges from both cakes. Cut each cake lengthwise into 4 strips as wide as the cake is thick. Trim to make strips match. Heat jam slightly. Spread on sides to glue 2 pink and 2 white strips together checkerboard fashion. Spread all 4 sides of completed cake with jam. Repeat with remaining pink and white stripes. Makes two cakes.
- To Make Almond Paste: Mix almonds, confectioners' sugar, egg, lemon juice, and almond extract together. Knead until smooth, adding a bit of lemon juice or water if too dry to roll. Add only 1/2 teaspoon at a time. It will be stiff. Divide into 2 equal parts.
- Roll 1/2 of paste 1/8 inch or so thick on a surface lightly dusted with confectioners' sugar. Cut to fit length of cake, and long enough to cover 4 sides leaving ends uncovered. Lay cake on one end of paste. Wrap to completely enclose all 4 sides of cake pinching paste to seal. Roll in granulated sugar. Place with seal underneath on serving plate, or store in plastic bag. Repeat for second cake. Chill. Slice thinly to serve.
Per Serving: 646 calories; 31.6 85.5 10.6 103 209 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
GREAT recipe - easy to make. Coming from England, now in Canada, this is very authentic - however, you must spread the apricot jam on the marzipan with a pastry brush before you wrap the cake i...
I am only 14 but my Mum was a successful cook and I have entered many shows and cook at least 3 new things a week, cooking is definitely my passion and takes a lot of my time. This cake was lusc...
Have made this cake three times now, each time it was a great success. I found it easier to roll the marzipan out between two sheets of glad wrap, which also helped when covering the sponge. I...
okay this is absolutely biased because this is the only battenburg i'd ever tried. All my English friends loved it and it was really easy to make! Variation: Try flavouring the pink parts with s...
My husband always looks forward to Irish relatives bringing him one of these cakes when they visit, so I made this for him for his birthday. The cake was a little denser than he was used to and...
The cake itself is very tasty, however the icing is too sweet, beware. We took the icing off and ate the cake.
Nyum nyum nyum - absolutely delicious! Battenburg cake is my favourite. Virgilio Anderson
i made this with my sister today. the cake itself was nice but it doesn't taste the same as Mr Kipling's battenburg! I was a bit scared to attempt the marzipan so i just bought some. I would do ...