Poppy Seed Chiffon
"This large and beautiful lemon-accented angel food cake filled with poppy seeds is made in a tube pan for an appealing dessert."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredientsservings 298 cals
Original recipe yields 14 servings (1 10-inch tube cake)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Wash angel food tube pan in hot soapy water to ensure it is totally grease-free.
- Combine milk and poppy seeds in small bowl. Let stand 2 hours. Bring the eggs to room temperature.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into medium mixing bowl. Make a well in center. Add the vegetable oil. Separate the eggs and add the yolks, vanilla and lemon flavoring. Add poppy seed mixture to well. Set aside. Don't beat yet.
- In large mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar until very stiff. Using same beaters beat egg yolk/flour mixture until smooth and light. Pour 1/4 at a time over beaten egg whites folding in with rubber spatula until all traces of flour disappear. Do not stir.
- Pour into ungreased 10 inch angel food tube pan. Bake in oven for 55 minutes. Increase heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake 10 to 15 minutes more until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean. Invert pan to cool. Ice with Vanilla Glaze, Caramel Icing or Seafoam Frosting.
Per Serving: 298 calories; 12.9 g fat; 39.7 g carbohydrates; 6.1 g protein; 94 mg cholesterol; 312 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I made this cake for a recent dinner party and it was definitely NOT a hit. In fact, no one ate their whole piece. Not a good sign. Although it was very beautiful, I think this cake tasted li...