- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water to which 1 teaspoon of sugar has been added.
- Scald 2 cups milk; add 1/2 cup sugar, shortening and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Beat in eggs. Add flour enough to make medium thick batter and beat well. Add beaten eggs and dissolved yeast, beat well. Stir in the remaining flour. When too thick to mix by spoon, pour onto floured board. Knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Put dough into greased bowl, and let rise until double in size. Divide into 2 parts. Knead each down, and roll out to fit 13 X 9 inch pan.
- Put 1 1/2 cup sugar into heavy skillet and brown, stirring all the time. Add 3 cups water. Cook until sugar is dissolved. Sir together 3 tablespoons flour and 3/4 cup milk; add to the sugar water. Cook until mixture is thick like gravy. Cool. Add allspice. Spread on unbaked coffee cakes.
- Mix 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter or margarine, 1 tablespoon sugar, and cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle rivels mixture over coffee cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Per Serving: 199 calories; 5.1 34.3 4 15 151 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
I love yeasted coffee cakes. I made this in late summer with fresh plums on top. This is a great recipe, but is not for the impatient baker or for the faint of heart: there are a lot of steps in...
This is very similar to the Kuchen my grandmother made when I was a child and it's excellent. The only difference is that Grandma topped the Kuchen with fruit and then a cream custard rather tha...
Delicious! I love the fact that this recipe makes two cakes. That way my family can enjoy one and I can freeze the other for another time. The only change I made was that I used cinnamon in t...
This recipe is just like my grandmother used to make except for the cinnamon. So glad I found this recipe, because I didn't have it.
If you omit the allspice, this is a very close approximation of a coffee cake (more Russian than German actually) that my grandmother used to make, and now I do. We use a thickened sour cream l...