Algerian Bouzgene Berber Bread with Roasted Pepper Sauce
Ingredients40 m servings 796
- Preheat your oven's broiler. Place red bell peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet, and roast under the broiler for about 8 minutes, turning occasionally. This should blacken the skin and help it peel off more easily. Cool, then scrape the skins off of the tomatoes and peppers, and place them in a large bowl. Remove cores and seeds from the bell peppers.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the jalapenos and garlic, and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and transfer the garlic and jalapeno to the bowl with the tomatoes and red peppers. Using two sharp steak knives (one in each hand), cut up the tomatoes and peppers to a coarse and soupy consistency. Stir, and set sauce aside.
- Place the semolina in a large bowl, and stir in salt and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Gradually add water while mixing and squeezing with your hand until the dough holds together without being sticky or dry, and molds easily with the hand. Divide into 6 pieces and form into balls.
- For each round, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Roll out dough one round at a time, to no thicker than 1/4 inch. Fry in the hot skillet until dark brown spots appear on the surface, and they are crispy. Remove from the skillet, and wrap in a clean towel while preparing the remaining flat breads.
- To eat the bread and sauce, break off pieces of the bread, and scoop them into the sauce. It will slide off, but just keep reaching in!
Per Serving: 796 calories; 17.1 134 23.4 0 701 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
When I saw this recipe, I was so excited because it reminds me of something Tunisian and am sure it has been carried over the Atlas Mts. in both directions with some additions along the way. I ...
Everybody in my family liked this recipe. Roasted bell pepper, tomatoes and garlic with semolina tortillas, it`s so delicious. You could make this sauce without bread and use it on anything.
This was absolutely delicious! I simplified the sauce by using a jar of already roasted red peppers! My family loved it!
This was good and although I give it 4 stars, it could easily be a 5. I added a little salt to the sauce, next time I will also add onions. I only used a little over 2 cups for the dough because...