Ingredients2 h 40 m servings 162
- In a large bowl, stir together the spelt flour, whole wheat flour, oats, yeast, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Combine the oil, warm water, and 1/4 cup maple syrup; stir into the flour mixture.
- When the dough is stiff enough, turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes. Knead in more flour if necessary to keep the dough from being sticky. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat. Cover, and set in a warm place to rise until double in size.
- Punch down dough, and form into a tight ball by folding the sides into the center. The tighter the ball, the more it will rise instead of just spreading. Place on a greased baking sheet with the seam underneath. Let rise for 20 minutes, or until your finger leaves a dent when you poke it gently.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Mix together 3 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Brush over the top of the loaf, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of oats.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Per Serving: 162 calories; 3.2 30.3 4.8 0 294 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Just made this - AWESOME! But I made the following changes: 1 - Used regular all purpose flour, 3 cups. 2 - Omitted the Allspice - But used the rest of fragrant spices. 3 - On the bread wash, al...
The dough didn't rise as much as I thought it should have, and the recipe called for too much allspice and ginger; it had bite to it, but it was good overall, and I'd make it again.
YUMMMMMM :) I only put in 1/4 tsp ginger after reading the other review, which seemed to work well. Also, that was a lot o liquid to brush on top - I used maybe half that.
I also felt that the dough didn't rise as much, but the bread is delicious. Hearty, crusty outside and moist inside. The spices make make people ask for the recipe, although I have not used alls...