- Smash up yeast in a medium bowl. Add water and 1 teaspoon sugar, and mix until pasty. Set aside. Let rise until spongy.
- Scald milk with margarine. Cool to lukewarm.
- Beat egg yolks. Add 3/4 cup sugar, and mix thoroughly. Add the cooled scalded milk mixture, and beat until foamy. Mix in yeast mixture. Add flour gradually, beating after each addition. Beat until thick and springy. Add flour only as needed to make a soft dough; too much will make hard doughnuts. Cover, and let rise until doubled.
- Shape dough into small balls. Let rise on floured waxed paper until doubled
- In a deep-fryer, heat shortening to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry until brown. Roll in sugar. Cool.
- Editor's Note
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 218 calories; 9.9 28 4 30 54 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I did not cook these as stated in the recipe. I used this dough to make sausage rolls.(Kolachies) It worked wonderfull!!!!! After the dough rose the last time, I rolled it around either some sau...
if you follow the recipe they turn out great almost like Grandmas! I had no problems except the family made them disapear too quick!