Ingredients4 h servings 218
- Scald milk with butter. Cool to lukewarm or room temperature.
- Crumble yeast in a medium bowl. Add water and 1 teaspoon sugar, and mix until pasty. Set aside. Let rise until spongy.
- Whisk egg yolks. Add 3/4 cup sugar, and mix thoroughly. Add the cooled scalded milk mixture, and beat until foamy. Mix in yeast mixture. Add flour gradually, beating after each addition. Beat until thick and springy. Add flour only as needed to make a soft dough; too much will make the doughnuts tough. Cover, and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 3 pieces, keeping dough covered while you work. Divide each piece of dough into 12, and shape dough into small balls. Let rise on floured waxed paper until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a deep-fryer, heat shortening to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Working in batches of 2-4 doughnuts, fry until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and roll in sugar.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 218 calories; 10 28 4 40 37 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I did not cook these as stated in the recipe. I used this dough to make sausage rolls.(Kolachies) It worked wonderfull!!!!! After the dough rose the last time, I rolled it around either some sau...
if you follow the recipe they turn out great almost like Grandmas! I had no problems except the family made them disapear too quick!