Ingredients55 m servings 198 cals
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Cut in the shortening until it is in very small pieces, then mix in the milk and egg using an electric mixer on low speed. Mix for about 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the bowl at least once to avoid lumps. Stir in walnuts by hand. Pour into the prepared pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan for about 30 minutes while you prepare the honey syrup.
- In a saucepan, stir together 1/4 cup of sugar and the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the honey and lemon juice, and remove from heat.
- Make slashes in the top of the cake in a diamond pattern using a knife. Pour the hot syrup over the top of the cake.
Per Serving: 198 calories; 9.8 g fat; 26.1 g carbohydrates; 2.9 g protein; 13 mg cholesterol; 105 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
We had to go to a dinner party and I was asked to bring a Greek dessert. I found this one and thought it sounded good, so I made it and brought it. The cake was a hit with all that ate it. I wil...
The whole family really liked this cake. I used butter instead of shortening and squeezed half a fresh lemon into the syrup (I know I added much more than a teaspoon). I used the food processo...
I am Greek and this is NOT your typical karithopita! This cake is more dense. It lacks allspice, orange zest, vanilla and clove. Definately didn't do anything for us. Lacks spice flavors. I...