Ingredients4 h 10 m servings 172 cals
- Scald milk.
- Soften yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Pour scalded milk over sugar, shortening, and salt in a bowl. When lukewarm, blend in raisins and 1 cup flour.
- Stir in yeast and beat well. Add 3 cups flour, continue beating until smooth. Beat in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn on lightly floured surface; let rest about 5 minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl; turn to bring greased surface to top. Cover, let stand in warm place until dough is doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down, cover, and let rise again until almost doubled in bulk.
- Turn on lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half; let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves. Place in 2 greased loaf pans 9 1/2 x 5 1/4 x 2 3/4 inches. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake in a 400 degree F (205 degrees C) oven for about 50 minutes.
Per Serving: 172 calories; 1.6 g fat; 35.5 g carbohydrates; 4.4 g protein; 2 mg cholesterol; 253 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This one was ok. We have lost our grandmother's raisin bread recipe, and I wanted something a lot like it - a white dough that you let rise before baking. This was the closest I could find. I...
I made this recipe for a fondue party and received a lot of compliments. It held up well for dipping. The only changes I made was to use approximately 5 cups of bread flour and 1 cup of whole ...
i added 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, and soaked the fruit first. i came back into the kitchen after 30 minutes because i could smell burning! when i took the bread out ...