Ingredients16 h 40 m servings 343 cals
- Place the poppy seeds in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 1 hour.
- Stir together milk, sugar, shortening, and salt. Stir until shortening melts. Cool mixture to lukewarm. Mix yeast with 2 cups flour; mix into milk mixture. Stir in eggs. Work in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise until doubled in size.
- Drain poppy seeds well, and put through the finest blade of a grinder 3 times. Cream butter or margarine and honey. Add cream, and stir in poppy seeds, nuts, raisins and grated peel. Add more cream if necessary to spread thinly over dough.
- Deflate dough, and divide in half. Roll each half to a 12 x 8 inch rectangle. Spread with poppy seed filling. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion, from long edge. Slice each into 12 pieces, and place cut side down in greased 9 inch round cake pans. Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes.
Per Serving: 343 calories; 21.5 g fat; 34.1 g carbohydrates; 6.2 g protein; 43 mg cholesterol; 169 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
i used my bread maker to make the dough, and used a can of poppy seed filling, to which i added some walnuts, orange peel, and some cream. i agree, the filling ingredients look wrong - i think t...
The dough is wonderful. The filling, I am sure has the wrong measurments. 2 cups of cream is way to much. Its too watery. Also it says it takes 16 hours and 40 minutes to make? what?? I th...