Collard Green Risotto and Pot Liquor
Southern Living magazine
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 708 cals
- MELT butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- STIR in rice and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add wine and bay leaves. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- ADD 1 cup chicken broth, salt, pepper, and hot sauce; cook, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed.
- REPEAT procedure with remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time. (Cooking time is about 45 minutes.) Remove and discard bay leaves.
- HEAT oil in a Dutch oven; add bacon, and cook until crisp. Add onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute.
- STIR in collard greens, salt, and pepper; saute over medium heat 5 minutes or until greens wilt. Stir in chicken broth. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook mixture 45 minutes or until greens are tender.
- POUR greens mixture through a wire mesh strainer into a container, reserving greens and pot liquor. Whisk molasses and butter into pot liquor.
- STIR greens into risotto.
- PLACE 1 cup collard green risotto in each of 6 bowls. Ladle pot liquor mixture evenly on top. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: 708 calories; 28.2 g fat; 89.7 g carbohydrates; 10.1 g protein; 60 mg cholesterol; 475 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This was a fabulous recipe! A little time consuming, but well worth it. I used more bacon in the greens than was called for (6 slices), and simmered them covered for over an hour. My Southern...
Delicious and interesting with an elegant,southern flair. I would have given 5 stars, but it's a bit time consuming to prepare.
The risotto turned out beautifully but I believe that the collards definately should have been started first because the risotto was finished before the greens were. (and risotto doesn't like t...
What can you say when a recipe is simply perfect??? This recipe is fabulous and well worth the time and effort. My dad was born and raised in the south and we all love southern food. These are s...