Southern Living magazine
- COMBINE 2 cups flour, yeast, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a large mixing bowl; stir in 1 1/2 cups warm water and vegetable oil.
- BEAT at low speed with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes; beat at high speed 3 minutes. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make dough stiff.
- TURN dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- COVER and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- PUNCH dough down, and press onto a lightly greased 12-inch round pizza pan or into a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- COVER and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- SAUTE onion and garlic in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and next 6 ingredients.
- BRING to a boil; cook, covered, over medium heat 10 minutes. Spoon sauce over dough.
- BAKE at 475 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with desired toppings; bake 10 to 15 more minutes. Garnish, if desired.
- Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.
ReviewsRead all reviews 36
The dough had a good flavor, but was REALLY dense. Maybe it is something I did though (not allowing enough time to rise). I think I may try it again.
This is the most wonderful pizza crust I've ever made (and I've tried quite a few)! It's crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside! It's a weekly favorite with my pizza loving family.
This is one of the best pizzas I have ever made. It came out crispy and chewy. The sauce has a nice flavor, and the instructions are very easy to follow. For someone just learning to make piz...
Excellent. The crust was great, although I definitely recommend making two pizzas with it. It was really easy to work with and tasted great. The sauce was similarly great. I think the key is tha...
Yummy! This recipe was a big hit at our house tonight. The dough was perfection to work with and baked very nicely. The sauce was wonderful - my husband is very picky about pizza sauce and he...
This is by far the best pizza base I have ever made.I did find that it was quite thick though, one large piece was quite filling.It was a lot like a delicious focaccia because of its thickness, ...