- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove and discard stems from mushrooms, and slice mushroom caps. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms, and saute 3 minutes. Remove from skillet. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion; cover and cook 6 minutes. Add bell peppers; cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked barley, mushrooms, broth, and next 4 ingredients (broth through black pepper).
- Spoon half of barley mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Reprinted with permission of Cooking Light® magazine. All rights reserved.
- CALORIES 182 (26% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 2.1g, mono 2.4g, poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 8.1g; CARB 27.5g; FIBER 5.9g; CHOL 7mg; IRON 1.9mg; SODIUM 353mg; CALC 150mg
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Very yummy! I have made this several times and we just love the different texture and what a taste!
I made this recipe to add fiber to my families diet and my husband loved it. I recommend this recipe for everyone.
I love the taste of cooked whole barley, so this recipe appealed to me. But, good grief!, it was waaay too involved and time-consuming for what it was. I just used the ingredients as a guideli...