Marinated Rabbit Stew
Ingredients2 d 2 h servings 453
- Put rabbit into a deep bowl and cover with a mixture of the vinegar, water, sugar, onion, carrots, 1 tablespoon salt, pickling spices, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 days to marinate, turning pieces frequently.
- Drain rabbit; strain and reserve marinade. Dry rabbit with absorbent paper. Coat pieces with a mixture of 1/3 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat the fat in a Dutch oven or saucepot. Add the rabbit and brown slowly on all sides. Add 2 cups of the marinade. Cover and cook slowly about 45 minutes, or until meat is tender.
- Thoroughly blend 1/2 up of the reserved marinade and the 1/4 cup of flour. Slowly pour on half of the mixture into cooking liquid, stirring constantly. Bring to boiling. Gradually add only what is needed of remaining mixture for consistency desired. Bring to boiling after each addition. Finally, cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Arrange rabbit on serving platter. Pour some of the gravy over the rabbit and serving remaining gravy in a gravy boat.
Per Serving: 453 calories; 15.6 43.4 32.1 93 1638 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
My family did not like this recipe at all. I would not call this a 'stew' it definately has a pickeled flavor.
This is actually a recipe for hassenpheffer and should NOT be confused as being a 'traditional type' of savory 'stew'. It is traditionally a tangy (kind of soury) tase, so you should be aware of...
This was not good at all. All you can taste and smell was the vinegar. It would just about knock you out.