If you're looking for a fun way to use up a few ripe, summer peaches and you happen to enjoy having cake for breakfast, this recipe is for you. Fresh peach slices are simmered on the stovetop with brown sugar and cinnamon to form a gooey peach cobbler-inspired filling that you'll layer into rich sour cream coffee cake batter. The cake is then capped with an iconic cinnamon-sugar pecan crumble topping before baking into a coffee cake that's too good not to share. And you'll have plenty to go around, as this decadently dense, moist 9x13-inch coffee cake is perfect for a crowd.

Gallery

Recipe Summary test

prep:
35 mins
cook:
1 hr 25 mins
additional:
30 mins
total:
1 hr 90 mins
Servings:
20
Yield:
1 9x13-inch cake
Advertisement

Ingredients

20
Original recipe yields 20 servings
The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified
For the Topping:
For the Peach Filling:
For the Cake:

Directions

Instructions Checklist
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease and line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. (Allow 1 inch or so of parchment to hang over the sides of the pan if you wish to remove your cake from the pan to slice and serve.)

    Advertisement
  • Prepare the topping: Whisk together flour, pecans, white and brown sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Add butter pieces and use a fork to work them into the dry mixture, stirring and cutting until combined. Refrigerate topping mixture until needed.

  • Prepare the peach filling: Combine peach slices, 1/2 cup brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan; gently toss to combine and coat. Place the pan over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and mixture becomes thick and syrupy, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

  • Prepare the cake: Beat together sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until combined and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

  • Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and sour cream in another separate bowl.

  • Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the sour cream mixture, beating at a low speed to combine.

  • Pour about 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar from the filling over the batter; use a silicone spatula to gently smooth into an even layer. Spoon the peach filling evenly over the brown sugar; again, use a silicone spatula to gently smooth into an even layer. Spread the remaining batter over the peach filling. Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the cake.

  • Bake cake in the preheated oven until golden brown at the edges and cooked through, 70 to 80 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. (Cover the pan with aluminum foil after the first hour of baking if the topping looks dark enough.) Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for at least 30 to 40 minutes before slicing.

Cook's Notes:

If you'd prefer, you can also bake this recipe using two 8- or 9-inch square pans (this is a great solution if you want one cake to keep and one to gift, or if you need to make one cake that's nut-free to accommodate allergies); however, you'll need to shave a few minutes off of the baking time.

Cutting each peach slice in half will make it a bit easier to distribute them evenly over the top of the cake batter.

Nutrition Facts

444 calories; protein 5.7g; carbohydrates 64.8g; fat 18.8g; cholesterol 62.8mg; sodium 244.6mg. Full Nutrition
Advertisement

Reviews

Rating: 5 stars
09/02/2021
I've never made a Peach Cobbler cake ever, In fact this is my first time making a cake in years! Also I never EVER try a recipie with 0 reviews. So I was very hesitant. But I looked through your profile of recipes and seemed like you know what your talking about, so I made it. And I'm glad I did! It was AMAAZING! I don't have a paddle attachment so I just mixed using a wooden spoon. And then I misjudged how much 2/3 of the batter was so I ended up doing about 80% batter then, the filling and I somehow managed to smooth the remaining 20% on the top and then put the crust on top. And It surprisingly worked out Great! Read More