Homemade Chicken Fajitas
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Mark A. Sheeler
"Making homemade fajita seasoning is a lot easier than you might think, and you probably already have the ingredients in your spice cabinet. Simply combine a mixture of chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper, and voila, you're ready to make fajitas. Brighten up this dish with a mixture of red, orange, yellow, and green peppers. Top with your favorite garnishes. We use sour cream, pico de gallo, and guacamole."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 35 m servings 560
Original recipe yields 4 servings (8 fajitas)
- Whisk chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder for fajita seasoning together in a small bowl.
- Trim chicken of any excess fat and place in a large, lidded bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with about 3/4 of the fajita seasoning. Toss, adding more oil if necessary, until coated. Poke chicken with a knife to allow penetration of seasoning and oil. Place the lid on the bowl and shake until chicken is thoroughly coated. Marinate in the refrigerator, shaking every couple of hours, for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the marinating bowl from the refrigerator and let sit on the counter until chicken is room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Make 2 stacks of 4 tortillas, and wrap each one in aluminum foil.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and onion. Stir in remaining fajita seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, place tortillas in the oven to warm. At the same time, grill chicken, turning halfway through, until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- To assemble fajitas, fill warmed tortillas with chicken, peppers, and onions.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can use a cast iron grill pan to cook the chicken, if preferred.
Per Serving: 560 calories; 23.3 43.9 42.4 97 1099 Full nutrition