Amy's Mulligan Stew
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"A friend gave me this recipe for this hearty comfy stew several years ago and I make it often. It is great on a chilly winter's night. With only a few ingredients, this thick stew is easy and inexpensive. Pairs well with some crusty bread or cornbread. Watch closely at end of cooking time so does not scorch though."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 55 m servings 514
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Melt shortening in the bottom of a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Pour in tomato soup. Fill the empty can with water twice and pour in. Season with salt and mix until well combined.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until beef is tender, about 2 hours. Make sure there is always liquid in the Dutch oven; add more water if needed.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots, and onions once beef is tender. Add enough water to nearly cover the vegetables. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often, until stew thickens and vegetables are very soft, 30 to 40 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- This is a very thick stew so as it begins to thicken make sure to stir often, scraping the bottom of the Dutch oven so it does not scorch.
- Recipe does not cook well in a slow cooker.
- Sometimes, I add 2 to 3 more carrots, potatoes, or onion and add a little more soup and water accordingly, but doubling the recipe does not work well, I have found.
Per Serving: 514 calories; 11.4 75.8 29.5 60 1137 Full nutrition